Friday, June 25, 2010


Day 336 - June 24
Listening to: Dream a Little Dream
Thought for the Day:
…….And I'm just about to drop it
Down that manhole of memories
When I realize it doesn't bother me ~Ani DiFranco

Manhole. That’s what it is! No, it’s not my new contraption to catch a man with teeth. Here’s the thing. The older the manhole cover, the more interesting it will be. I could make an analogy to men here, but I won’t. Next time you’re in an older part of a city, look down at the manhole covers. Chances are you will see street art if the covers have not been replaced with cookie cutter SEWER covers. It makes me sad that the newer versions are so mundane.

I’m not the only one interested in manholes (the street variety – don’t go gutter brain on me). Microsoft at one time included a question in their interview process asking why manholes are circular. If you have any interest in seeing the answers along with some other useless manhole trivia, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhole_cov
er. You might be surprised to find yourself drawn in to the mystery that is the manhole. Some manholes are steamy, some are not, some are big, some are small, some are……………errr nevermind.

The thought of a manhole is cool to me. Manholes could be the gateway to a bounty of treasure that has been sucked down into its depths over the years…………. especially in my hood. If it weren’t for my weak nerves and stomach, I might think it cool to be a sewer archeologist.

The featured manhole of the day is located at my place of employment. At first glance it appears to be uniform which would lead one to believe it was mass produced. Upon closer examination, however, it’s not uniform. This baby was home made! I suspect, based on the area where it is located, that it is a circa 1930s manhole cover.

There ya have it! Manhole mania. Start looking down now!

No comments:

Post a Comment