Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 182 - Nov. 29
Listening to: Wheel in the Sky
Thought for today: We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. ~Plato

According to Wikipedia, owls are divided into two groups: Strigidae (typical owls) and Tytonidae (barn owls). Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Stop the presses! They forgot the third group, Plasticko’ Koukoouvagia (fake plastic owls). The owl featured in today’s photo is no ghetto fake owl! This one is in possession of flashing eyes that burst forth with laser-like beams when any motion is detected. I encountered this particular plastic companion of Athena on a late -night walk over the weekend. When its red eyes zeroed in on me I thought, “Cool, a magic owl. Dear owl, please bring me a fire place, a flat stomach, and a Jon Hamm blowup doll.” I can tell you without doubt no wisdom flowed forth from this counterfeit creature. I’ll let you know if its magic is more forthcoming.

Seriously, the duty of this particular variety of Plasticko’ Koukoouvagia is to serve as an imaginary danger to vermin that encounter it. When I saw it, I giggled because I know the danger is not real. Hmmmmm……… I wonder how many metaphorical Plasticko’ Koukoouvagia are in my life. What am I afraid of that is imagined? Do we have a couple of hours to talk?

Check out this cute baby owl video posted by my friend Wendy! http://www.wimp.com/owlhunts/

No comments:

Post a Comment