Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 118 - Feb. 4
Listening to: Summer of ‘69
Thought for the day: Friday. ‘nuff said.

Iconography – Circa 1988
i•co•nog•ra•phy [ahy-kuh-nog-ruh-fee]
–noun, plural -phies.
1. symbolic representation, especially the conventional meanings attached to an image or images.

You are looking at one of the projects assigned in my photography class during my senior year in college. Sprawled on the back of the photo in my expansive handwriting is the word “Iconography.” I assume that was the name of the project. I vaguely remember the assignment to be about capturing the essence of who I was. In a pre-Facebook, un-narcissistic time, THIS TASK WAS DIFFICULT. Today, I’d have no trouble. I’d just turn in the photo of me kissing the Tootsie Roll jar. I don’t remember taking this photo and don’t remember which of my essences I was trying to portray. I do remember the horrors of trying to thread a strip of negatives on to a tiny spool in complete darkness. #$*&% Do they still make students learn how to develop real film?

No comments:

Post a Comment