Thursday, April 28, 2011


Day 32 - April 24
Listening to: Holiday
Thought for the day: He takes men out of time and makes them feel eternity. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You have your frilly Easter dresses and then there is the tic-tac-toe jump suit. Thank goodness I had no clue that apparel mattered on Easter when I was four. At least I am sporting a stuffed duck as an accessory.

The older I get, the more I reminisce on holidays. Today is no different. This picture brings back memories. When I was a tic-tac-toe tyke, we spent Easter Sundays at my Great Grandmother’s farm. She had a bazillion acres and big spooky house filled with antiques. When it came time for the perfunctory Easter egg hunt, my cousins and I were relegated to the upstairs of the spooky house while the adults hid eggs. One year, we went into one of the bedrooms and clamored on top of a giant feather bed that hadn’t been slept in for years. Opposite the bed was a dead relative's photo collection on the wall. Their eyes were intense and piercing. The Alpha cousin (you know what I’m talking about if you have cousins) insisted their eyes were moving. That’s the year I decided I was done with the perfunctory Easter egg hunt at the farm. I don’t think I ever participated again.

No comments:

Post a Comment