Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 63 - March 30
Listening to: Can’t Help Myself
Thought for the day: Creativity often consists of merely turning up what is already there. Did you know that right and left shoes were thought up only a little more than a century ago?

As I've mentioned before, I am the caretaker of a vast collection of photographs and memorabilia dating back to 1918 where I work. This week I received three photos in the mail, one of which I am sharing with you. The women in this picture belonged to a division of the Old Hickory DuPont Rayon women's industrial league basketball team circa late 1920s.

One thing that several of my coworkers and I noticed about this photo was the shoes. There are no distinguishing characteristic to define what brand they are. One coworker suggested the shoes were Chuck Taylor's. I did a bit of digging and found that the first pair of white Chuck Taylor's wasn't revealed to the world until the 1936 Olympics, so no Chuck Taylor's here. A few of the pairs do look similar to shoes produced in the 20s called Ball-Band Sport Shoes. My guess is shoe choice was slim in those days. Oh how things have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment