Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 66 - March 27
Listening to: Leader of the Band
Thought for the day: Human life is a story told by God. ~Hans Christian Anderson

(photo: 1972 - Jaw Dawson and Kenton J. Hull)

Today I attended a memorial to help friends and family say goodbye to Kenny Hull, a father, friend, and music educator whose reputation was larger than life. The memorial was a celebration of life rather than an occasion for mourning which says a lot about the man he was. Though he had many accomplishments, the one that affected me the most was that he was responsible for laying the foundation of the McGavock High School band. It has been 34 years since he was the band director at the school, yet the expectations and traditions he established are still evident today. His legacy had a tremendous impact on my life as well as the lives of my children. I almost missed the opportunity to get to know Kenny as a friend, but fortunately that changed about five years ago. I can honestly say that he was one of the kindest people I have ever met.

Hans Christian Anderson once said that a human life is a story told by God. God’s story in Kenny Hull is one that left the world in a better place. I am grateful for his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment