Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 67 - March 26
Listening to: Give a Little Bit
Thought for the day: If I eat one more Hershey’s Chocolate Kiss, I’m going to sprout a little white Kisses banner out of my head.

Today, my body was tired and my soul weary, so I took the day off from the world and didn’t do much. It was heaven. I did have one little chore to attend to. You are looking at my working list of Vietnam veterans from the 37138 zip code. The Old Hickory Veterans Memorial Park Committee will be installing a plaque in tribute to the Vietnam veterans this Memorial Day. The process makes me an absolute wreck and I constantly fight the desire to run away from 37138. I am the president of the committee and am therefore responsible for any name that inadvertently doesn’t make the list. Our group has installed plaques for WWII and the Korean War. In both installations names were unintentionally excluded. It is so difficult when a veteran confronts me and tells me his/her name is not on the plaque. I hate it. It doesn’t matter that hundreds of veterans who do find their names cast in bronze praise me…………..it just takes one left-off veteran to sink my emotional battle ship. So………… I spent time going over my Vietnam notes for the tenth time today...............and drowned my worries in the comforting silverness of Chocolate Kisses.

www.ohvmp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment